Friday, September 27, 2013

Decorating Shelves

Enjoying Our Heritage and Personal Souvenirs

We had the entire inside of our home painted this past spring, so we had to clear all shelves and cabinets for the job.  I studied lots of pictures to get ideas of how to rearrange the assortment of "stuff" and "treasures" we've accumulated over the years.  It was really fun rediscovering all our mementos and possessions and finding creative ways to display them.  I tried to incorporate ideas I found with our own collection of bric-a-brac and curios. 


Wolfe birds welcome guests!
Emmett Collier pottery and Walter Anderson prints, tiny mosaic figures from Berlin and Barcelona, and my daddy's bronze baby shoe!

Colorful pottery vases, pitchers, teapots, and plates
This might be one of my favorite set of shelves!
Green and blue are my favorite colors, especially sea glass!  That's my grandmother's original coal oil lamp on the top shelf.

This is my grandson's addition to the collection.  He's a bit OCD, so he arranges things in great order.  I've been unable to put away this classic design as it keeps him ever on my mind!  When he was two, he lined up everything in the house with wheels....cars, planes, trucks, vacuum cleaner, etc!  He always had his animal collection grouped according to mamas, daddys, and babies or by families.  He amazed us with his organizational skills, even separating strawberry and grape jellies into stacks in restaurants before he was even two!
These shelves are for Harri--war books and movies, cookbooks, and his dad's beer steins.









Such a pleasure seeing my aunt's china from the 20's!







It's fun for me to use a beach theme to bring cheer and tranquil feelings to mind.







No comments:

Post a Comment