Sunday, September 15, 2013

Churches

Little Country Churches

One of my favorite things is little country churches.  Although I have always been in a big city church, there is something appealing to me about these simple churches.  The local church is defined as a local assembly of believers or a congregation that meets together physically for worship, fellowship, teaching, prayer and encouragement in the faith (Hebrews 10:25).  At the local church level, we are able to live in relationship with other believers—we break bread together (Communion), pray for each other, disciple, and strengthen one another. At the same time, all believers are members of the universal church. The universal church is made up of every single person who has exercised faith in Jesus Christ for salvation, including members of every local church body throughout the earth (1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 1:22-23).
I also love little church birdhouses.  I have several in my yard.  It makes me happy to look out my window and see those little houses.  It reminds me every day that I have so many blessings to be thankful for.



One of my favorite memories growing up was staying with my relatives in the country and waking up on Sunday mornings to the aroma of bacon frying and the sounds of gospel music in the background.  Those recollections still warm my heart to this day as they bring to mind family, stability, and love, especially God's love for us.






  Little Country Church Lyrics
Little country church on the edge of town
Doo-do- do-dn-do-do-do
People comin' everyday from miles around
For meetin's and for Sunday school
And it's very plain to see
It's not the way it used to be
Preacher isn't talkin' 'bout religion no more
He just wants to praise the Lord
People aren't as stuffy as they were before
They just want to praise the Lord
And it's very plain to see
It's not the way it used to be
{ From: http://www.elyrics.net }
They're talkin' 'bout revival and the need for love
That little church has come alive
Workin' with each other for the common good
Puttin' all the past aside
Long hair, short hair, some coats and ties
People finally comin' around
Lookin' past the hair and straight into the eyes
People finally comin' around
And it's very plain to see
It's not the way it used to be
Lyrics from "http://www.elyrics.net
 by Chuck Girard



 






Little Country Church

There's a little country church,
on a hill outside of town.
The paint is cracked and peeling,
and the ceiling's sagging down.
It's not a grand cathedral,
but God's Spirit dwells within;
and it offers a sweet refuge,
from the outside world of sin.

There's no fancy stained glass windows,
or gold upon the door.
The pews are scarred and battered,
and there's scuff marks on the floor.
But there's no place this side of heaven,
where you know I'd rather be,
than that little country church,
where God's Spirit speaks to me.

O, that little country church
has been weathered by the years.
And it's seen its share of sorrow,
and its seen its share of tears.
There's been many won to Jesus,
who've rejected sin and shame,
in that little country church,
where everybody knows your name.

In that little country church,
I feel God's Spirit close to me.
And the warmth of being sheltered,
in a loving family.
And the door is always open,
if you truly seek His will,
and the void within a sinful heart,
the Holy Ghost will fill.

In that little country church,
I know that someday I will lie.
Within an open coffin
so my friends can say goodbye,
But I'll be lookin down from heaven,
when they lay me neath the sod,
and there'll be no tearful mourning,
for they'll know I'm home with God.
© Fred Parker. All rights reserved, 6 years ago












This Little Country Church

No building yet ordained by God to call our very own
No house to come and fellowship with Jesus on the throne
But the Lord, He will provide through His mercy and His grace
We are gathered here today, praising Jesus in this place


We walked together in the sunshine, held hands in the rain
Sharing smiles, drying tears, every triumph, every pain
Even in the darkest valley, God brought the victory
And this little country church is like a home to me


We may kneel down at the altar, in reverence to the King
Or stand and shout hallelujah, lift our hands and start to sing
Good preaching and gospel music, no place I'd rather be
Than sheltered in the arms of God, Rock of Ages, cleft for me


Great cathedrals have their purpose in God's kingdom
Many temples help His work to carry on
But it's here, dear Lord, I feel so close to heaven
This little country church is like my home

Iris Harden Brooks, USA






Enjoy your Sunday!


photographs from google.com

1 comment:

  1. This Reminds Me Of A Song That I Heard. NYCity Slickers, A Bluegrass Group From Miss Based In NY, Sang It And It Was Written By Reeves Jones, A Jackson Attorney. I Have Tried To Find The Words But I Am Going To Have To Keep Looking.

    ReplyDelete